Friday, September 13, 2013

Skype not so great, after all.

Well it's time for one more change. I'm finding that I still do a lot more textimg than I do talking, and after using Skype for several calls, it's just not as good as I had initially thought it was. It's still a great deal at $3/month, and next time I travel outside the US, I'll probably sign up just in case I want to call home. But for my day to day usage, I plan to follow the advice of another blogger. Sorry I can't remember who it was so I can't give him credit, but he recommended adding an extra $10 to my T-Mobile account. Then T-Mo can charge me a per-minute fee for anything over 100 minutes. I can't find a rate on their site, but he said it was 10 cents/minute, so that should get me another 100 minutes. And if I need more, then I can just add more money as needed. This is still a lot cheaper than what I was paying on Verizon.

So I'll see how this goes and I can always change back pretty easily.

P.S. I'm also considering one of the Obihai devices for my home, but I will wait until I see what Google decides to do with Google Voice in 2014. If it's free again next year, then it would make sense to add more hardware. But I won't know until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment