Monday, February 24, 2014

Moral debate

I have not had much to post about lately. Life is good. My Nexus 5 is a great phone and has more power than I need. My Nexus 7 (2012) is getting slower but I just have to remember to close the apps that I'm not using and then it works just fine. The one thing I miss is being able to tether on my Nexus 4 without paying for it. There is a new bit of code in the Nexus 5 that tells it to report to the carrier whenever a user tries to tether. So now it can't be done on the sly without paying for tethering. I found a solution online where you add a line to the registry that effectively cancels that reporting command. You have to root your phone to do that, which I've never done before, but it doesn't seem too difficult.
The reason I have not done so is for moral reasons. I was one of those kids who used Napster to download a bunch of songs for free. And at one point I used BitTorrent and other P2P programs to download all kinds of crazy stuff. But then it dawned on me that it was theft. I know some people get a thrill out of seeing how many movies they can pirate, and what else they can get away with, but to me that seems like shoplifting, and I'm getting too old for that crap. I'm a grownup with a job and I can afford to pay for tethering if I truly need it.
For now I am going to keep using a Blu-ray ripper to rip my existing DVD and Blu-ray movies to digital formats that I can load onto my tablet. If I want to watch Netflix then I will just use my phone like I did in the old days (two years ago).
I'm not writing this to preach to anyone. It's just something that's been on my mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment