Friday, May 24, 2013

Is FreedomPop's 3G of any real value?

So far it appears that I won't be able to make calls over the Overdrive Pro when I am on 3G. There's just not enough bandwidth. In defense of both services, neither FreedomPop nor GrooVe IP would tell you this should work. GrooVe IP works great when I'm on a broadband connection at home. FreedomPop works great for texting via Google Voice, using Facebook, or light web browsing. They just don't seem to work together very well. FreedomPop does sell a sleeve for the iPod touch that advertises it works with VOIP, and that sleeve only uses the 4G (WiMax) connection. Which means I should be able to make calls on 4G.

So that makes me wonder if I really get any value out of the 3G service. It lets me browse Facebook on my phone, but do I really need to do that? Texting via Google Voice would probably still be handy, but is it really worth the money? If I can use FreedomPop's free 500 GB of 4G only service, it would save me another $20 per month. So the real question is, how much of a tight-wad to I really want to be?
When I am out and about this summer I will get a better feel for how I use it and the real capabilities. If I have 4G coverage most places, and I find that I use less than 1 GB of data, then I should probably consider downgrading.

No comments:

Post a Comment