Friday, May 31, 2013

Spare Phone: An Alternative to GrooVe IP?

I've mentioned in the past that there is an iOS app you can use to accomplish the same thing that I do with GrooVe IP, but now I see there is another Android app available.

It's called "Spare Phone" from Guidology, and it claims to be better than GrooVe IP. Here is the product page:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guidology.sparephone

Now I don't actually have any complaints about GrooVe IP, but according to the reviews, Spare Phone will work on a weaker signal and give a clearer connection. Both apps let you tweak a lot of things under the hood, but I don't want to mess with that unless I have to do so. It might depend on which device you are using, because the default settings on each app could be better on one device and worse on another.

Also, I like GrooVe IP because there is a "Lite" version which is free. Spare Phone costs a few dollars. GrooVe IP "Lite" only works on WiFi, but since that's what I'm using then it's all I needed. Plus it allowed me to try it and make sure it worked first. I ultimately purchased the full version of GrooVe IP because I wanted to support the developer and have access to advanced settings, but I would not have had to do so.

Still, it seemed like it was worth spending a couple bucks to see if Spare Phone was better. I bought Spare Phone and tried to use it. I was at work where I had a 3G connection only, but 4 bars. I called myself at my desk, and I could not hear myself at all. It was just a one-way connection. I've had a couple of bad connections with GrooVe IP as well, so it could be just a fluke. I tried it again today, and it worked.

It seems like in the short time that I have used each app, they are pretty close to the same in call quality. Calls can be pretty tinny & mechanical sounding, and I've had people tell me they can hear an echo. So all things being fairly equal, it seems like GrooVe IP "Lite" is the winner because it's free. So if you want to try doing what I'm doing, and only use WiFi, just grab GrooVe IP Lite and save yourself the extra cost of paying for an app.

I'm not going to ask for my money back. It will be good to keep Spare Phone as a "spare phone" in case I'd ever have problems with the GrooVe IP app, or in case it works better on other devices I purchase in the future. I like to have a backup plan, especially when it only costs a couple of bucks.

I wonder if a future version of the Google Hangouts app will incorporate VOIP calling and eliminate the need for a 3rd party app. Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment