Wednesday, June 5, 2013

FreedomPop's new mobile service

"FreedomPop's new service will give users a guaranteed 500MB of 4G data for free, unlimited texts, and 200 voice minutes per month. Users registered on the network will also be given free unlimited calls to each other. The service will launch later this summer on several phones running Google's Android operating system." - CNET

I assume they are waiting for the LTE launch to do this, but maybe not. Either way, it sounds like just what I need. Hopefully I can still pay $20/month to get more data. This would theoretically eliminate the need for the apps GrooVe IP and Spare Phone on Android, and "Phone for Google Voice" on iOS. It would be really nice to have a VOIP client from FreedomPop themselves, so I can complain to one place when it doesn't work!

The only negative I see is if you have to buy a special phone for this. And I'm betting that will be the case. I'm planning to buy a tablet this summer and run it off my Overdrive Pro too. But if I could have both devices share the same account, then I'd still be game. Or just use the 500 MB of free data on my phone, and do all my surfing on my tablet using the 2 GB that I purchase.

Very exciting prospect.

Update, here's the link:
http://www.freedompop.com/phone
It appears they are not waiting for LTE after all, because it won't be until later in the year. This says they are launching the "Freedom Phone" this summer. I'm still very interested. I doubt they will let me use both devices on the same account, but I will definitely ask them.

Here is the source of the CNET quote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57587715-94/freedompop-goes-freebie-with-new-mobile-service/

No comments:

Post a Comment