Thursday, June 27, 2013

Verizon's VoLTE technology

So Verizon is planning to get rid of all connections except LTE. Makes sense to do it that way and simplify things. The efficiency should save them a lot of money. So does this mean in the future their customers will only need to pay for a data plan, and then calls just count toward the data total? I'm not optimistic.

It seems like they are trying to accomplish the same thing that I've been doing with VOIP over WiFi. My cheap hack does not really work very well with my current hardware, but with Verizon designing it all, the VoLTE system should work pretty well, and save them a lot of money. So I'm just wondering if that savings will result in a better rate for the consumer. I won't be holding my breath. Just wishful thinking, I suppose.

Here's my source for the VoLTE news:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57591213-94/verizon-says-first-lte-only-phones-to-arrive-in-late-2014/

P.S. Speaking of my current hardware, I'm planning to buy a new tablet soon. Once I have it I will report on how well the various VOIP apps perform on it. I'm hoping they do better than my poor old Droid Bionic. The Bionic's performance has been abysmal, but until I have a faster piece of hardware it's hard to know what is to blame. Even on my home WiFi (DSL) my call quality is inconsistent. This fact leads me to believe that the Bionic is the problem, or at least part of it. I'm also looking to forward to other options coming in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment