Thursday, June 6, 2013

"PHONE for Google Voice & GTalk" for Android by Mo+, another free VOIP app.

On my original post in this series, I added a comment that you could get an app for iOS called "PHONE for Google Voice & GTalk." I turns out this same app is available for Android too. Both are free. A friend told me on Facebook that he download the app for his iPod Touch and it worked great. So I thought it would be worth downloading it to my Droid Bionic too.
First impressions are good. It looks sharp, not a lot of settings to mess with, and it displays network strength during a call.
I dislike the tiny dialpad available during a call. When dialing the number you want, a full size dial pad is displayed. But during a call the dialpad that you can pull up is a miniature one.
Right now my Overdrive Pro is on a good signal, but it's only 3G. I shut down GrooVe IP and made a call with PHONE but the sound was only one way. I could hear the other end, but they could not hear me. Their voice was delayed a lot, about 2 or 3 seconds.
I disconnected the call and exited the app, then opened GrooVe IP again. I made the same phone call, and the lag from the other person was again about 2 or 3 seconds, but my voice went through loud and clear, and it was not delayed at all. So GrooVe IP wins this round. These are definitely not ideal conditions for calling, so I need to try them both when the Overdrive Pro has a good 4G signal, and also on my DSL's WiFi at home.
I'll post my results later, but in the mean time feel free to comment if you have any experience with either of these apps, or the app called Spare Phone, or if you have suggestions for other apps I should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment