Tuesday, August 6, 2013

FreedomPop LTE

Well there is no press release on their website, but FreedomPop's homepage is now showing an LTE hotspot called the "Mifi 5580 LTE." I won't be testing this because I am content with my T-Mobile setup. This is still on the Sprint network. I've heard the Sprint network is not able to maximize the bandwidth of LTE because their infrastructure is too weak. So until the infrastructure is beefed up, all they can promise is potential. Just having LTE does not do anything for you if you can't handle the data. Also the price of the device is $150. All that being said, it still give each owner a free 500 Gb of data each month. And as Sprint improves its network, it will keep getting better performance. So this might be the perfect travel companion for some folks. I know I enjoy the option of taking my Overdrive Pro and plugging it into my laptop. Also I just read a post on FreedomPop's blog which states that they lifted the 99 cent maintenance fee for unused accounts back in June. So you can now keep one of these in your travel bag and you don't have to worry about turning it on once a month.

Apparently the phone service they plan to roll out is going to be available for Android phones that works on Sprint. So if you have an old Sprint, Virgin, Boost, or other phone set up for Sprint, you should be able to bring it to FreedomPop. I'm not sure if there is going to be a requirement for it to be CDMA or LTE, so be careful to check on that if you plan to use their service.

Looks like I'm out of luck with my Nexus 4, but I still like the deal I currently have with T-Mobile and Skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment